Friday, July 1, 2011

Pohick Bay/George Mason

June 20, 2011

So - I had this idea that the girls and I would go on a picnic one sunny March day.  I had wanted to go down to this beach-like area, because I was having withdrawals.  We ventured out to Mason Neck park where I thought we could walk along the water edge.  Unfortunately, it was all roped off and the only warmth was from the recycled tire shavings that were the "mulch" at the playground.  (Which are really cool if you've never seen them)...but, they weren't putting out much heat.  We traveled to Pohick Bay Park right down the road and ate...wrapped in blankets...while some crazy kayakers were out practicing.


After that we headed back down the road to George Mason's home.  We got yelled at by a grumpy woman in the Visitor's Center who told me I needed to remove my child (who shrieked with joy upon seeing her sister come out of the educational film she said they would both enjoy - which they didn't).  I have never been so embarrassed or ever asked to leave anywhere because of my children's behavior.  It was a Visitor's Center - not a museum - and it was a split second - not an ongoing annoyance.  People should not get mad at other people's happiness.  Jealous.

The grounds were beautiful.  The walkthrough of the house was not as exciting or very upbeat - but very beautiful.  It was neat to learn that since they didn't have air conditioning in those days that when they had parties, they would leave the front and back doors open to get a cross wind to cool the house.  I would love to have a party in that house!



This is a view of George Mason's Deer land (above).


This is the path to the family graveyard.
171(4)/194

No comments:

Post a Comment